Deutscher Wachtelhund Search Pedigrees  
Board Home   Search   Member List   Calendar   Help  

Current time: 11-21-2018, 12:54 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New to the Forum
03-09-2014, 05:51 AM
New to the Forum
Hello all, i would like to introduce myself to the DWNA Forum. My name is Garrett Gordy, and i live in Houston, TX. I have been interested in DW for a while now and hope to add one as part of the family soon. I look forward to meeting everyone and participating in DWNA!

-gg
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-09-2014, 09:47 AM
RE: New to the Forum
Welcome Garrett to the forum I live in Belton Texas . My girl is 3 years old and I am very happy with her . I wish I could take the credit on how good she is but its breed in them . I hunt her a lot.
03-11-2014, 03:18 PM
Welcome! It's always good to have an enthusiastic new member. Please feel free to ask any questions you have. What type of hunting/tracking do you plan on doing with your wachtelhund?
03-11-2014, 04:17 PM
Welcome!
03-11-2014, 09:04 PM
(03-11-2014 03:18 PM)Brady Wrote:  Welcome! It's always good to have an enthusiastic new member. Please feel free to ask any questions you have. What type of hunting/tracking do you plan on doing with your wachtelhund?

Hello Brady, glad to be here! In South Texas we hunt a lot of dove and quail. There is a very healthy hog population that i have been trying to dwindle down with my bow and unfortunately there was more than one occasion this year when i could have used the help of a good tracking dog to aid in the recovery process. We also enjoy shed hunting as there are some monster deer in this area that we try to follow year to year. In East Texas we hunt ducks and woodcock. I try to make it to Montana every year to hunt Hungarian partridge and grouse in the fall when it is still a little too hot in TX.
03-11-2014, 09:06 PM
(03-11-2014 04:17 PM)Ben Wrote:  Welcome!

Thanks Ben, glad to be here
03-13-2014, 08:08 PM
Garrett,
A good wachtelhund can be a part of nearly every type of hunting that you describe. While I've never bothered with teaching mine to find sheds, we do track 20 or so deer each year. I have also used mine to bay wild hogs, retrieve doves, hunt quail, pheasant, chuckar and woodcock, and decoy coyotes. I also routinely hunt rabbits with mine during the winter months. I don't duck hunt, but many wachtel owners use their dogs for this purpose. Though there is no "perfect dog" for all types of hunting a wachtelhund will get you pretty close smile