Deutscher Wachtelhund Search Pedigrees  
Board Home   Search   Member List   Calendar   Help  

Current time: 07-23-2018, 03:32 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Howdy!
11-20-2012, 04:14 PM (This post was last modified: 11-20-2012 05:15 PM by Brian Urban.)
Howdy!
Hello everyone!

Allow me to introduce myself.

I was grew up in Western Pennsylvania. I bought my first hunting dog when I was in the 7th grade with my hard-earned grass-cutting money. Chips was an English Setter.

I moved to Delaware with my first job in '86. I stayed. I'm not exactly sure why.

On my own, after Chips passed, I went out of my way to get a field bred English Springer Spaniel and chose Ken Roebuck's Kennel (used to write the Flush column in Gun Dog magazine). Brandy was a nice dog but didn't have the hunting drive of my setter.

My next dog was a genuine VDD registered Drahthaar. Danni vom Hinterwald (I called her Dina) was a hunting machine. I couldn't believe the drive! Blackberry thickets? Multifloral Rose? No problem! She was a game finding machine. I was sold on drahthaars!

After Dina reached the age of 13, it was time for a new DD. Indy vom Wiredhaus was my choice. Indy is a big, tough dog that is more intense than my first DD. As driven as he is, he is a coach potato in the house. Incredible.

I've been through the spring and fall tests with by my DD's. Awesome! I even did the NAVHDA natural ability test with Indy. He was perfect without any training other than basic obedience. Go figure.

I've been to North Dakota pheasant hunting with Indy. I've seen him track a rooster for at least 500 yards and return with it. He was gone and out of sight (hard to do in ND) for 15 minutes when I sent him on the retrieve. I've never ever lost a bird while hunting with a DD.

I hunt pheasant, grouse, duck, woodcock, rabbits, dove and even a lil' bit of quail with my critters. I've been know to do a lil' venison blood tracking too.

Now, along with an aging DD, we have a 11 month old FT bred Golden Retriever. Sassy is my daughter's dog and is EXTREMELY smart. She's taken to water and duck retrieving like a fish to water. I am really glad that we have her. But, comparing the drive a Golden to the natural, freakishly intense game finding ability of a DD just isn't fair.

I intend on doing hunt tests with the critter. I will continue to hunt with her. But...something is missing.

The Wachtelhund seems interesting. I've been pokin' around this site and I like what I see.

As much as I liked my DDs, they do come with some challenges. Maybe it is time to switch things up?!?! After Indy passes...at least that's what my wife is saying.

I'd love to learn more about these german flushin' critters. I'll probably be asking a ton of questions.

Although I don't have a Wachtelhund, I'm not a spy. I may have some things to offer.

TMI? Maybe. But, we're all friends...right?eyeroll
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-20-2012, 08:37 PM
RE: Howdy!
Welcome. We are celebrating one year of companionship with our Wachtelhund Cora this next Sunday. She is more apart of our family than I could have ever imagined in addition to being a tenacious hunter. I don't expect to own another breed.
11-21-2012, 12:29 PM (This post was last modified: 11-21-2012 12:29 PM by Rodney T..)
Same here Terry They are a special breed
11-26-2012, 06:07 PM
Welcome Brian
11-26-2012, 07:40 PM
Thanks!