Deutscher Wachtelhund Search Pedigrees  
Board Home   Search   Member List   Calendar   Help  

Current time: 09-22-2018, 11:20 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New member in Richmond, VA
03-14-2012, 09:25 PM
New member in Richmond, VA
Hello everybody! I'm a new hunter, started a couple of years ago, now interested in getting a dog to hunt with. I don't have one now, and I've never had a gun dog.

I've been doing research on breeds, which got me interested in the German versatile dogs. So far my favorite is the Deutsch Langhaar. Lance (lanco on the versatiledogs.com forums) pointed me to the DW breed. I'd be very interested in meeting any DW owners in the general central Virginia area, if there are any.

Thanks,
Brent

P.S. Here's a post on versatiledogs.com that explains the possible hunting options I'm looking at here in Virginia, if you're interested:
Hunting turkeys, rabbits, squirrels with DLs or DKs
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-14-2012, 10:31 PM
RE: New member in Richmond, VA
Brent,

Welcome aboard! It's is good that you are doing your research in determining which breed will fit your hunting style. I'm sure that it won't surprise you I'll brag up the Wachtelhund. I read some of the posts from the link that you provided.

If you are interested in hunting rabbits and birds at the same time the Wachtelhund is a great match. Honestly the Wachtelhund will hunt whatever it is that you want it to hunt. They are smart dogs that figure things out pretty quickly.

I'll send you a PM with additional information.

Ask all the questions that you have here, there are very knowledgeable folks here not only with DW's but other versatile breeds as well.
03-15-2012, 03:39 PM
RE: New member in Richmond, VA
I have one that's a year old . I was dove hunting her in Sept and she did very well . Than we went into duck season and she did great. She lives in the house and I spend pretty much everyday with her. Very smart gal and loves to hunt. All the hard work over the year of breeding this breed is very noticeable