Deutscher Wachtelhund Search Pedigrees  
Board Home   Search   Member List   Calendar   Help  

Current time: 09-22-2018, 11:08 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Intro
12-07-2011, 09:04 AM
Intro
Hi Everyone,

I am a first time Wachtelhund owner. I hunted behind two dogs previously; behind a German Short hair/Brittany Spaniel cross and then a German Short haired Pointer. Both were good experiences. After the loss of my Short hair, I decided I didn't want another dog. I think it was less than three days before I decided that I didn't want to hunt without a dog. It just isn't the same. Plus our backyard was so quiet. Anyway, searched the Internet for a good family hunting dog that didn't shed. Up came the Deutcher Wachtelhund. I emailed Keith who connected me with Jim C. at Blue Moon. We arranged to buy Cora from him. She is such an awesome dog and we couldn't be happier with her.

So since I haven't trained a dog in a while and since Cora was a pretty big investment, I am probably mostly concerned about 'messing her up'. I took her quail hunting last Saturday. She retrieved 6/9 birds with some help. Now I know where she is at and so the training will begin. Cora is very smart and so I just need to be persistent and patient I think.

Cora is already crate trained and house broken. I can have her with me most of the time, but I am considering building a kennel for her for the times when I must leave her. Plus she refuses to be in the dog run for even a couple of hours without destroying the fence and escaping. I am concerned about when she goes into heat also. Any suggestions about the best way to handle that would be great for the first time Wachtelhund owner and first time unaltered dog owner.

-Terry
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-07-2011, 11:24 AM
RE: Intro
Hello Terry and welcome to our forum! I've bred and sold Wachtelhunds since 1995, I always recommended to all my buyers to have outside kennels for their dogs. It allows you to leave the dog in a safe place and not worry about them, when they must stay alone.

My kennels are the welded wire and frames, and powder coated. They are more expensive, but are stronger, last longer and have a resale value, look better and allow for expansion of kennels by locking new kennel panels together. They will not escape from a welded kennel with some kind of top or roofing.

You have already learned the problem with chain link kennels, if a dog wants to get out of them they can tear the chain link fencing. Chain link fencing for kennels was at one time made out of galvanized wire. Today, most kennel chain link fencing is made of aluminum wire. A dog the size of a Wachtelhund can bite through and tear these kennel panels. They also break their teeth pulling on the aluminum link fencing.

I once took in a 2 1/2 year old Wachtelhund. The owner called him Houdini, was he regularly escape from from his chain link kennel. Never once did he escape from our kennels.

Dave Pepe
DWNA-VDW Breed Warden
Eagle River Wachtelhunds
dave@deutscherwachtelhund.org
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-07-2011, 03:53 PM (This post was last modified: 12-07-2011 03:55 PM by Rodney T..)
I bet you will find out they are special pups . Devri is only 10 months and I be willing to put her up to any 2 year old Lab any day. You can just say the word fetch and she's ready. I hide birds frozen birds and tell dead bird and she comes alive . I take her down below the house to the lake everyday around 4 ish and I swear she must know to tell time because she will let me know when its getting close 4 ish
12-07-2011, 06:24 PM
Terry,
Welcome to the forum. I think that most folks on the site have their dogs inside much of the time. I am in the minority as my dog is kenneled most of the time. He does get to spend a good part of the day indoors in the coolest and hottest months of the year and is a "gentleman" inside the more time he spends there. The key to happy kenneling, I believe, is to have it be a safe place for your dog. It is never a place for punishment for bad behavior. I only feed my dog in his kennel. He did dig a bit when we were on vacation for a week and had the neighbor tending to him, but this was fixed by adding some reinforcement to the ground. I will soon be adding a solid flooring over most of the kennel which should also help. My dog has never been destructive of the kennel itself, probably because he grew up in it. It is his HOME. For a more destructive dog I agree with the welded wire type of kennel, more expensive by virtually indestructible.
With a little work, Cora will work harder and better than any dog you have ever owned, I bet wink. You will find yourself amazed at how smart these dogs are.
12-07-2011, 07:46 PM
Terry, great to see you on the forum, and I can tell you that the guys here can help you with about any issue that you may encounter. All of us have had different experiences that can help lessen the learning curve for others that may be having similar issues. It can sure be a comfort to know that you’re not the only one out there.

Jim
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-08-2011, 07:22 AM
Terry,

Welcome aboard!

Where are you from and what do you plan on hunting with Cora?
12-10-2011, 11:47 PM
Thank you for the warm welcome everyone.

I am from Redding, California. I plan on hunting quail and dove, deer and wild pig.