Deutscher Wachtelhund Search Pedigrees  
Board Home   Search   Member List   Calendar   Help  

Current time: 09-22-2018, 11:09 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New to the VDW
12-06-2011, 08:13 PM (This post was last modified: 12-06-2011 08:14 PM by Mark V.)
New to the VDW
Hello all!

I find myself here by pure accident. A friend of mine adopted a Wachtelhund (free to a good home situation)from a man in our state. I happened by his house and took a look at this dog with a great deal of disinterest. Well, within 5 minutes I saw that this was no ordinary dog. By all indications he had a very nice and stable temperament and a perpetually inquisitive nose. I had two bird dogs both are Large Munsterlanders so I was familiar with the versatile breeds. But this dog was different.

After I studied up on this breed, I traded my friend , my old bird dog for the 4 year Wachtelhund. He had spent a fair amount of time at at "professional trainer" who apparently spent a bunch of time trying to turn him into a pointer of game birds.

For the record, I have no intentions of pounding a square peg into a round hole. My intention is to use this dog for the varied use they were bred to do. He has the drive and I have the motivation. I dont believe we can be stopped!

My dog background is as follows.
~ started life hunting pheasants with a Brittany Spaniel as a young boy
~ during college I raised and trained water dogs
~ after several years of professional drifting I got involved in protection dog training and spent 7 years as a Police Canine trainer and handler.
~ more recently I have come full circle to pointing dogs again with my Large Munsterlanders. With them I enjoy Grouse and Woodcock hunting in my home state of Michigan.

Well, that is the readers digest version. And I am glad to be here!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-06-2011, 08:21 PM
RE: New to the VDW
Glad you have the dog.....sounds like he found a real home.

Great group here!
12-06-2011, 09:50 PM
Welcome! I'm happy you "fell into" Wachtelhunds and even happier that you will make a good home and hunt him, you wont be disappointed!
12-07-2011, 06:15 AM
Great story and glad your pup has a good home
12-07-2011, 10:55 AM (This post was last modified: 12-07-2011 10:56 AM by Dave P..)
Mark, Welcome to the Forum and our extended Wachtelhund family! Glad you registered and posted an intro. As an experienced dog handler you immediately saw something special in a Wachtelhund, something new owners come to discove over time. Glad he is in a good home.

Dave Pepe
DWNA-VDW Breed Warden
Eagle River Wachtelhunds
dave@deutscherwachtelhund.org
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-07-2011, 12:40 PM
glad you took the chance to "re-home" this dog. 3 of 5 of our wachtels were acquired this way- except for the free part. Always does my heart good to see a great dog get a home where he'll live as he was intended to [i.e. loved, looked after and taken hunting]
12-07-2011, 06:33 PM
Welcome aboard! You will continue to find out that you have a very special dog, and there are over 100 more of us in the states with VERY SPECIAL DOGS that amaze us, as well.
12-07-2011, 07:30 PM
Welcome! It is true; even with the wide variety of dogs that you have been exposed to this breed will still amaze you. Have fun with your new dog.

Jim
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-08-2011, 07:27 AM
Mark,

We're happy to have you. It is always good to have another experienced dog trainer on board!
12-08-2011, 01:50 PM
My dog Kaage has developed a tendency to point pheasants, he just frezees and stares at the grass or clump or what ever usually from 5-30 feet from the bird. I then walk up beside him and we move in together for the kill. I think he does it to help me get the bird so he can retrieve it, lol. I tend to miss a few if they fly up unannounced. It has been getting more and more pronounced as the season progresses, and more and more birds fall. It amazes me how he adapts to every situation in short order. Good luck with your new Wachtel.