Deutscher Wachtelhund Search Pedigrees  
Board Home   Search   Member List   Calendar   Help  

Current time: 11-19-2018, 03:32 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New Wachtelhund Owner
11-13-2011, 06:37 AM
New Wachtelhund Owner
Hello All,
I have been a member for awhile now but I have never replied to any posts on here, although I read all posts on here, just didn`t reply because I did not own a Wachtelhund at the time.
I finally got my own Wachtelhund from Dave Dyer (OakRidge Kennels) and I couldn`t be more happier with this guy. I stumbled onto this breed by accident as I was researching the French Spaniel and so I started researching these dogs. It didn`t take me long to decide that this was the dog for me so I sent out a few e-mails and stumbled upon some pictures of "Findus" who caught my eye and the rest is history.
At first I didn`t know what to expect of these dogs as all owners were doing nothing but praising these dogs up to the highest standards. I must admit at first I thought that everybody was just a little bias in their opinions of these dogs because they owned one and were a member of this club, but boy was I wrong... These dogs are the greatest!!
I cannot believe how easy my guy is to train and his desire to hunt. At a little over 4 months old, "Copper" (or Phantom) made his first retrieve to hand, a nice Gadwall duck. I couldn`t believe it, I spent a few solid days with him getting adjusted to the gun before the season opened and then we were off to the races. He has made numerous retrieves since then and just loves it. He flushed his first pheasants and grouse at about 4 1/2 months old, simply unbelievable. Many of my friends were amazed at how good he was at such a young age, he continues to get better with every hunt. Most times it is just me and him out hunting so I don`t get as many pictures as I would like, maybe I can train him to use the camera some day?? Haha... I have a few pictures of his first retrieves which I will post soon.
In the house this guy is a big teddy bear, he truly is an amazing dog!! I am really happy that I chose this breed, he is the first of his kind up here in Eastern Canada but he will not be the last.
Thanks to OakRidge Kennels for an amazing dog!!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-13-2011, 08:26 AM
RE: New Wachtelhund Owner
Hi Robin,
Nice to get to know you. I can see why you fell in love with Fin, he is quite a dog. It sounds like you are giving your pup the right start. Hunting him hard the first year is especially important IMO. Talk to Dave and other experienced owners. You may be surprised as to what your dog is capable of.

You are not alone in East CA. There are several Wachtels in QC, PEI, & OT. I think this forum still has the map that you can look at to find other owners.

Welcome, Aaron
Find all posts by this user
11-13-2011, 12:09 PM
Robin, Welcome to the DWNA and our Forum. Having bred and sold Wachtelhunds since 1995. I can tell you no matter how much praise you give the Wachtelhund, I heard it all before over and over. Biased! Maybe, but it is true, having heard it from all my buyers. Again welcome!

Dave Pepe
DWNA-VDW Breed Warden
Eagle River Wachtelhunds
dave@deutscherwachtelhund.org
11-13-2011, 07:59 PM
Thanks for the post...! YES... More pictures!!! Even if it is the end result of the hunt... Deer season starts this coming week but I have a blog that I need to write with pictures!
Glad to see your interaction on the board!

Dave

Dave Dyer
OakRidge Kennels - Versatile Dogs for Versatile Hunters
[Image: 7105524.jpg]
http://www.Oakridgewachtelhund.com
11-14-2011, 01:37 AM
Thanks for the post. Please post some pictures when you get a chance.

Click to see Pipers Pedigree
11-14-2011, 02:41 AM
Robin I know how you feel they are a great breed of pups. My gal is sack out in bed with the wife now but here shortly she'll be a hunting machine. When the duck come in her teeth chatter at first I though she was cold . 65 degrees here not cold just excited
11-14-2011, 06:46 AM
Robin,

Glad to see that you are now "part of the club". Have fun this year, try to expose him to as much hunting as you can. Wait till you see what he will be able to do next year!

Have some lobster and Malpeque Oysters for me! PEI is one of my favorite places to visit.
11-15-2011, 05:39 AM
Thanks guys!! I look forward to posting some pictures as my better half just bought me a new camera for my birthday, I think she was a little annoyed when I managed a few drops of blood on hers...LOL

Jeff, I am a lobster fisherman so I will indeed have a few lobsters and think of you while I chow down!!

I tried attaching a few pictures but it says they are too big, any help here guys?
11-15-2011, 09:17 AM
(11-15-2011 05:39 AM)Robin Wrote:  Jeff, I am a lobster fisherman so I will indeed have a few lobsters and think of you while I chow down!!
I tried attaching a few pictures but it says they are too big, any help here guys?

Robin, read this post for posting pictures: http://deutscherwachtelhund.org/bb/showt...hp?tid=469
Lobster fisherman? I grew up in CT. We ate lobster weekly. Miss those lobster diners! sad

Dave Pepe
DWNA-VDW Breed Warden
Eagle River Wachtelhunds
dave@deutscherwachtelhund.org
11-15-2011, 11:51 AM
(11-15-2011 05:39 AM)Robin Wrote:  Thanks guys!! I look forward to posting some pictures as my better half just bought me a new camera for my birthday, I think she was a little annoyed when I managed a few drops of blood on hers...LOL

Jeff, I am a lobster fisherman so I will indeed have a few lobsters and think of you while I chow down!!

I will definitely be looking you up the next time I am there!yes