Deutscher Wachtelhund Search Pedigrees  
Board Home   Search   Member List   Calendar   Help  

Current time: 08-19-2019, 11:24 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
hello from Kenora Ontario Canada
01-08-2011, 02:19 PM

smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-09-2011, 09:56 AM

Hey Sandy... Nice to have you join us. Why don't you tell us a little more about yourself and your dog. smile

Click to see Pipers Pedigree
01-09-2011, 01:01 PM

Welcome Sandy,

Glad to see you finally got onto the forum.

For the other members, Sandy and Ron have had a number of Wachtelhunds over the years. They have also rescued several Wachtelhunds over the years, some with health issues, which required expensive treatments.

One was a Wachtelhund, Eadie Von Eagle River, AKA, Jena; that I had bred in 1995. Several years ago the owner passed away. Sandy and Ron took 12 year old Jena in. There was another one also rescued from a DWNA member. Four years ago Sandy sent me a deposit for a pup. However, due to their continued rescuing of Wachtelhunds they never actually purchased a pup. It looks like this year they will finally get a new pup to raise as their own, unless they rescue an other Wachtelhund in the meantime.

We should all give them a warm welcome. As a breed club we want to take care of our Wachtelhunds. Peoples lives and situations continualy change, sometime it leaves a dog homeless. The Lange's have done more than their share in taking in our Wachtelhunds and have recently become DWNA members.

Dave Pepe
DWNA-VDW Breed Warden
Eagle River Wachtelhunds
dave@deutscherwachtelhund.org
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-09-2011, 09:13 PM

Sandy and Ron,

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for all of your dedication.
01-10-2011, 03:34 PM

Hi Sandy...

Glad to see you made it on here...! Hope things are going well!

Dave

Dave Dyer
OakRidge Kennels - Versatile Dogs for Versatile Hunters
[Image: 7105524.jpg]
http://www.Oakridgewachtelhund.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-10-2011, 06:29 PM

Welcome!
01-12-2011, 02:46 PM

Thank-you to the members who have welcomed us in. Just a bit more info regarding my husband and self. I was raised in Canada during the 1950s and 60s with a wachtelhund that must have been lost by its owner during hunting season. My mother was a German ex-patriate and had always spoken longingly of the dogs her family left behind in Germany when they fled Deutchland mid-World War Two. (They were from an upper-class family who hunted as a past-time and had several Wachtelhunds) My father,s brother a WW2 Canadian Vet actually found this dog - he was a Hi-way Patrol man and my aunt was not about to let him add another dog to their pack of about 17/18 at the time so he took this Dog we named Sparky to my mother . She recognised the breed immediately . This all transpired in 1956 - She knew this dog was a juvenile and continued her training for the hunt with my Dad's youngest sister and her Spinger Spaniel. We have enough photos of this dog ( she lived for 15 more years)and Gary Gehrmann confirms this dog in his experienced eyes was definetely a Wachtelhund. We have been rescuers of dogs all our lives and am proud to say my daughter has gone into it in a big way.My husband is also from Germany and aspired to be a Forester before his family came to Canada - it was the only way in the 60s he figured he was ever going to get a Wachtelunde of his own to hunt with.

As excited as we are to get a Wachtelhund puppy - we have only rescued before - we would really encouage all members to experiance rescue at least once - especially with the older wachtels - nobody seems interested in dogs over 7.-years old but I can tell you that the love and devotion you get from an older dog will reward you 10 times over in alertness - they know that they were dumped.

We actually have had 4 wachtels through Dave Pepe and Gary Gehrmann and all of them have been great dogs in the field . No other breed will give you the versatillity that a Wachtelhund will. Every Wachtelhund will have a different personality so be patient and loving and you'll proudly say I have the best Dog/dogs in the world!
01-12-2011, 03:07 PM

Currently we have two wachtelhunds.

A nearly 9 year old male who we have had to regretfully retire due to a bad front elbow and both hips dysplastic.Best hunting dog in the world and it nearly broke our hearts when the hunting season started ths year and we saw how disabled he had become. real time hunting and daily training are two totally different situations for a dog with serious skeletal and joint problems. He will live out his natural life with us as a Pampered Pooch.

We also have a nearly two year old female who can hunt with the best of them. She is the wildest Wachtelhund we have ever had but we blame that on our 5year Harrier who is an Alaska hi-way rescue from our daughter. Remember - there are no bad Wachtelhunds. - just other breeds have naughtiness - Nixe-joy is her name and her father is one of Dave Pepe's Eagle River Wachtelhunds.we took her as a 7 month old and she is just a love.

The new puppy we are expecting from Eagle River Wachtelhunds will be our third Eagle River dog and we can hardly wait! Dave and Loni's dogs have the best dispositions no matter what age you get them at and learn to hunt so quickly . we often laugh about how one Wachtelhund actually trains the next one - you are only needed to corract the wrong behaviour.
01-12-2011, 04:58 PM

That was a good read, thanks for sharing smile

Click to see Pipers Pedigree