Deutscher Wachtelhund Search Pedigrees  
Board Home   Search   Member List   Calendar   Help  

Current time: 08-24-2019, 11:03 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Hello from Missouri
02-09-2010, 09:38 AM

Hello Everybody,

I am new to the forum. I purchased my wachtel, Caliber Vom Country Road, from the Halsteads of Country Road Kennels last December. He was a Christmas gift from my wife. My main priority in a new dog was blood tracking. As a bowhunter, I have been interested in blood tracking dogs for many years, and finally decided it was time to get one. I also do some upland bird hunting and the occasional waterfowl hunt. Having a dog that could perform these tasks would simply be a bonus to me. In my search, I came across the wachtelhund. After a few months of research, I was confident that this was the best breed for me. The rest, as they say, is history.

Dave Pepe asked me to post an email that I recently sent to him, so I will include it here.

Dave,
I was looking at the website over the weekend, and wanted to give you an update of Caliber.
First, it's hard to believe that he has only been a part of our lives for 2 months. He is 4 months old now, and continues to amaze me with his tracking ability and trainability. Just this morning we ran a track that was over a day old, and covered by an inch of new snow. The track was in some thick woods adjacent to our home. He covered the 200 yard trail, which I thought I had made very challenging, in just a few minutes. This was his first 24+ hour old trail. He didn't seem to mind the conditions. Yesterday he ran a 250 yard trail in another section of very dense woods. I used a TINY bit of deer blood (courtesy of a deer who sacrificed herself to a car at the edge of our yard last week) to cover the distance. I purposely used only a few drops at a time and left gaps of 20 yards or more at times just to challenge him a bit. I also increased the number of turns and backtracks to see how he would sort things out. The trail was about 5 hours old. It took him about 2 minutes to complete! I think that he would have covered it faster, but I had to keep untangling his tracking lead from all the green briar bushes that he was maneuvering through. A couple of weeks ago he got his first real track. I had taken my 10 y/o son on a hog hunt in Arkansas. He shot a nice hog. The hog was strongly quartered away in some pretty thick stuff. The shot was far back, and immediately became plugged up with intestines. Because it had begun raining pretty hard, I put a finishing shot in the hog as he ran across the opposite hill top. The hog dropped at my shot, but had covered about 150 yards from the initial shot. Unfortunately, by the time we got back to camp to get Caliber, the rain had become torrential. We never found any blood at the inital impact sight, and oddly when we cleaned the hog the paunch was not ruptured. Despite the downpour and lack of sign, I opted to put Caliber on his tracking lead in the general area where I had seen the hog run. He struggled to find the trail, but got onto something and tracked it in the general direction of the fallen hog. The fact that there were 30 other hogs with the one we shot certainly didn't help either. Knowing where the hog was laying, I was able to keep him moving the right direction, and he eventually found the hog. He was excited at his find. Even though things didn't go ″picture perfect″ I was proud of him for sticking with it under terrible conditions. Also, having a real animal at the end of the trail was a big plus for helping to ″connect the dots″ between fake runs and the real thing.
Otherwise, from a training perspective, he is also exceeding my every expectation. First, let me say that I am not a dog trainer. I have had dogs most of my life, and have successfully taught some basic obedience and simple tricks, but have never had a bird dog of my own to work with. I purchased a great retriever training video, and have used many of those techniqes while training Caliber. He has been retrieving bumpers to hand almost flawlessly for over a month. He will heal at my side on command and remain there until I verbally release him to retrieve the bumper. He also responds great to whistle commands for ″come″ and ″sit.″ Recently, he has even started sitting to the whistle while a great distance away. Currently, we are working on getting him to reliably stop during a retrieve and sit to the whistle. Once he masters this (almost there, by the way), I should be able to start working him on hand signals for blind retrieves. He is already doing a great job at holding the bumper until I give him the ″drop″ command. He will even walk in a healing postiion while carrying the bumper. He is also healing well, though I still keep a short 12″ lead on him while training this because his nose sometimes gets the better of him. The command lead allows me to redirect him easily.
I have introduced him to gunfire during thrown bumper retrieves. He is very sound in this regard, and doesn't seem to give the gun any notice. I have some pigeons located and am going to start some live bird training in the next couple of weeks. I hope to use these to teach him to sit on the flush. He doesn't need any help with his prey drive.
On top of all this, he is a great sidekick. He is always happy to work (play), and is great with everybody he meets, including small children. I have had no regrets with my decision to purchase a wachtel. I am sure that none of this surprises you or other long time wachtel owners, but in the words of my skeptical wife, ″OK, I admit it. He's a smart dog.″
Also Dave, can I get an access password for the DWNA website?
Thanks for everything,
Brady Hesington
I look forward to meeting some more of you in the future. I will post some pictures soon.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-09-2010, 09:56 AM

Brady,

Welcome to our Wachtelhund community. I edit your post, only taking out the extra spaces between paragraphs. I'm sure others will be responding to you.

Dave Pepe
DWNA-VDW Breed Warden
Eagle River Wachtelhunds
dave@deutscherwachtelhund.org
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-09-2010, 05:12 PM

Wow... sounds like a fast learning pup. I haven't started half of that yet. I bought the Fowl Dawg Dvd set 1-3 to help with my training. Would love to see pic's when you get a chance.

Click to see Pipers Pedigree
02-09-2010, 08:34 PM

Some of you Arkansas and Missouri folks should meet use at the Pheasant Fest in Des Moines, IA at the end of February. The DWNA will have a booth promoting the Wachtelhund. Come on up and bring your pups along.

Dave Pepe
DWNA-VDW Breed Warden
Eagle River Wachtelhunds
02-10-2010, 08:40 AM

Here are a few of Caliber.

This one is from Christmas.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

02-10-2010, 08:41 AM

Here's another.

Attached File(s)
.jpg  P1015527.JPG (Size: 23.02 KB / Downloads: 72)
02-10-2010, 08:45 AM

Here are some recent ones.

Attached File(s)
.jpg  P10155682.JPG (Size: 34.33 KB / Downloads: 72)
02-10-2010, 08:49 AM

Whoops, others are too big. I will have to edit them later.

Brady
02-10-2010, 09:29 AM

Brady, 480 X480 pixels works best for posting pictures.

Dave Pepe
DWNA-VDW Breed Warden
Eagle River Wachtelhunds
02-12-2010, 02:40 PM

Here they are...

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)